Climate Emergency Declaration statement of support sign-on sheet for the EU Election candidates
In United Kingdom, Extinction Rebellion spokespersons including Roger Hallam are standing as Climate & Ecological Emergency Independents in the European Union elections.
The candidates are inspired by the Youth Strikes 4 Climate, Greta Thunberg and the Extinction Rebellion movement. Their collective actions have created a shift in public awareness around the need to urgently act on the climate emergency. They want to take this kind of energy to Europe, to demonstrate a different kind of politics that goes beyond party politics. A politics that is more human and ordinary and says, “In the face of climate collapse, we can face this together.” The group has three aims:
1. The Council of Ministers and the European Parliament must tell the truth and take action to declare a Climate and Ecological Emergency.
2. The Declaration on a Climate and Ecological Emergency must demand a zero carbon Europe by a date no later than 2030.
3. National Citizen Assemblies on Climate & Ecological Justice must be instituted and have a leading role in shaping a zero carbon Europe.”
Climate Emergency Candidates in Britain
Independents for London MEP constituency
• Daze Aghaji, 19, student at Goldsmiths University
• Claudia McDowell, 21
• Henry Muss BSc, MSc, working for the Public Health team at London borough
• Andrew Medhurst, worked in financial services (HSBC, Lloyds Bank) for over 30 years
• Zoe Lafferty, theatre director
• Roger Hallam, organic farmer, co-founder of Extinction Rebellion
• Kofi Mawuli Klu, jurisconsult in self-employment, eco-pedagogy global citizenship educationist and researcher
Independents for South West MEP constituency
• Dr Larch Maxey LLB, MSc, PhD
• Mothiur Rahman, co-founder of the Community Chartering Network
→ More about this video and action www.facebook.com/roger.hallam.7
→ Also read more on www.climateemergencyindependents.co.uk
→ DesmogUK – 8 May 2019:
European Elections: Nine Climate Emergency Candidates That Want to Shake Up The Political System
~ Janine O’Keeffe
Coordinator of the international #FridaysForFuture movement
Supporting councils and universities in the UK
— Laurel (@LaurelTumarkin) May 10, 2019
On this page we will keep you updated when we learn about similar candidate groups from other countries.
Make a photographic statement of support
We will post your photo on this page and on social media to show voters which election candidates support a declaration of climate emergency and taking action accordingly.
→ BBC News – 17 May 2019:
European elections 2019: Why adults are giving kids their vote
“Lilly Platt is too young to vote in the upcoming European Parliament election. The 11-year-old won’t be eligible to do so until 2026, when she turns 18. Yet her grandfather, 79-year-old Jim Platt, has found a way for her voice to be heard.”