Some of the active climate emergency action and emergency advocacy groups
• Cedamia – Climate Emergency Declaration and Mobilisation in Action
Led by Margaret Hender. Founded by Margaret Hender and Philip Sutton
• Centre for Climate Safety
Led by Mik Aidt
• Climate Code Red
Led by David Spratt
Led by Paul and Michelle Gilding
• Council Action in the Climate Emergency (CACE)
Led by Adrian Whitehead and Bryony Edwards
• Vote Climate
Led by Jane Morton
• Breakthrough – National Centre for Climate Restoration has published a guide, series of reports and papers and organises conferences about the climate emergency. Led by Luke Taylor
• The Sustainable Living Festival in Melbourne had the climate emergency as its theme in 2017, and again in 2018 under the title ‘Climate Crunch Time’. Led by Luke Taylor
• Over 50 Australian climate action groups support the Climate Emergency Declaration campaign, and some, such as Newcastle Climate Change Response, actively campaign for the declaration of a climate emergency.
• In Canada, Group Mobilisation has been campaigning to get councils to declare a climate emergency since 2018.
• Climate Emergency Unit is “mobilizing for the climate emergency at the speed and scale not seen since WW2.”
• In Denmark, Mellemfolkeligt Samvirke – a part of the international NGO ActionAid – started a petition calling for national climate emergency declaration in September 2019.
• In France, Citoyens pour le Climat runs the campaign website www.urgenceclimatique.fr which contains a list of all French climate emergency declarations and lots of advice, guidance and resources in French language.
Climate Emergency UK monitors the ‘Climate & Environmental Emergency’ development in the United Kingdom at both local and national government level: www.climateemergency.uk
• The British design company Leap created a network and a campaign called ‘We Declare A Climate Emergency’ on www.climate-emergency.com
• A group of UK business leaders, who want to accelerate action on the climate emergency, have set up a not for profit company to run ‘Business Declares’ as a campaign to the end of 2020: www.businessdeclares.com
• Numerous Extinction Rebellion groups in the United Kingdom actively campaign for the declaration of a climate emergency.
• For the European election, there was an British initiative uniting Extinction Rebellion-inspired candidates in an alliance: www.climateemergencyindependents.co.uk
• In New York, The Climate Mobilization has been advocating since 2014 for restoring a safe climate for all at emergency speed.
Founded by Margaret Klein Salamon and Ezra Silk
• In California, the Climate Emergency Mobilization Task Force, is a Bay Area coalition of elected officials, city and county staff, community based and nongovernmental organizations, youth, environmental and social activists, and front line communities addressing inequities and causes of the climate emergency.
• The group Declare Emergency campaigns for resolute nonviolent climate action, offering resolute non-violent resistance to the fossil fuel madness of the present moment.
Globally: Extinction Rebellion groups
There are hundreds of Extinction Rebellion groups which are advocating for the declaration of a climate emergency at various levels of government. See the map showing local groups around the world on www.rebellion.earth/act-now/local-groups, and also see the community groups list.
» If you would like to see your group listed here, let us know