In less than one week, more than 1,000 musicians, music labels and organisations – a broad spectrum of the UK music community – have signed onto the declaration.
The signatories include institutions such as:
Abbey Road Studios, AIM, the Association of Independent Festivals, Beggars Group, Believe, The BRIT School, Festival Republic, Kambe Events, Music Venue Trust, Powerful Thinking, Sony Music UK, United Talent Agency, Universal Music UK, Village Underground, Warner Music UK, and Warner Chappell Music UK
…and artists such as:
Bernard Butler, Beth Orton, Bonobo, Caribou, Carleen Anderson, Ezra Furman, Fay Milton (Savages), Floating Points, Foals, Geoff Barrow, Hot Chip, IDLES, Imelda May, Jon Hopkins, Kathleen Hanna, Maribou State, Mick Hucknall, Nadine Shah, Nitin Sawhney, Pretenders, Radiohead, Sam Fender, The Cinematic Orchestra, This Is The Kit, Tom Odell, plus hundreds of other artists and businesses.
The declaration states:
MUSIC DECLARES A CLIMATE AND ECOLOGICAL EMERGENCY
- We call on governments and media institutions to tell the truth about the climate and ecological emergency.
- We call on governments to act now to reverse biodiversity loss and reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by no later than 2030.
- We recognise that the emergency has arisen from global injustices and will work towards systemic change to protect life on Earth.
- We acknowledge the environmental impact of music industry practices and commit to taking urgent action.
- Jointly support one another, sharing expertise as a collective industry and community.
- Speak up and out about the climate and ecological emergency.
- Work towards making our businesses ecologically sustainable and regenerative.
Signatures on the declaration represent the entire spectrum of the UK music community. It encompasses major labels, leading independents, prominent organisations within the live music community, major names in the classical, jazz and folk sectors, artists from all genres, artist managers and individual music professionals.
“Music Declares Emergency is a group of artists, music industry professionals and organisations that stand together to declare a climate and ecological emergency and call for an immediate governmental response to protect all life on Earth. We believe in the power of music to promote the cultural change needed to create a better future.”
→ For a current list of all signatories, visit www.musicdeclares.net
Link up on social media
— Music Declares a Climate and Ecological Emergency (@musicdeclares) July 12, 2019
→ You can sign up on: www.juliesbicycle.com/news/music-declares-emergency
→ Artists and companies can also sign Culture Declares Emergency, which represents the broader performing and visual arts community